Check your CO alarm!

posted in: Hot News | 0

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a gas that can be deadly. One way in how it is produced is by using incorrect techniques and burning poor fuel in your wood burning or mult-ifuel stove. CO is hard to detect as it is odourless and does not omit fumes that can be seen.

 

Burning incorrect fuels and using incorrect techniques whilst using your stove can lead to dangerous levels of CO

 

CO is known as the “silent killer”.

As Blazing Burners is a HETAS registered company, we install CO alarms as part of all our stove installations.

 

At Blazing Burners we choose to install CO alarms that operate on a battery for 10 years.

 

 

The alarm will be specifically placed and fitted according to Building Regulations (ADJ 2010).

 

When you have a  fire, the levels of CO will increase. It is important that your stove is working correctly, safely and effectively so that CO and other harmful products of combustion can be removed via your flue.

 

Here’s what HETAS have to say about Carbon Monoxide.

Maintaining the woodburner or multifuel stove is very important and should be done annually. This is a service Blazing Burners can do so please contact us if you need this service doing.

Servicing and sweeping a stove

As part of the service, the CO alarm will be checked to see if it is working properly. However this is something that you can do and should be doing on a regular basis. All you’ll need to do is press the “test” button and the alarm will sound for a few seconds.

 

If the alarm is faulty, or you have abnormal levels of CO, it should let you know.

 

Symptoms of CO poisoning:

  • Headaches
  • Breathlessness
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Dizziness or Collapse
  • Chest and/or stomach pains
  • Erratic behaviour and/or Visual problems

 

 

What to do in a CO emergency:

If you suspect fumes are escaping from your combustion appliance into your home, or your carbon monoxide alarm goes off.

  • Turn the appliance off.
  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the building.
  • Leave the building immediately and don’t return until your appliance or boiler has extinguished and the air in the room is clear.
  • If you feel unwell go to your Doctor,  or call one of the following:
    • call NHS England on 111
    • If it is urgent phone 999 for an ambulance. Tell them you feel your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Before you reuse the appliance, have it serviced by a HETAS Registered Installer.
  • Do not use the appliance until you are told it is safe to do so.

 

 

Useful links:

Burnright

How to start a fire

How to the controls on your stove

What not to burn!

Follow admin:

Latest posts from

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *